Basement Waterproofing and Foundation Repair in Cullman, Alabama
In any environment, the foundation is the single most important aspect of a long-lasting home. Concrete that is poured unevenly, damaged or absent of gutters, or incorrectly prepared soil can be just a few contributing factors to a compromised foundation. It is imperative to keep an eye out for the warning signs of damage and to treat the problem immediately. Choosing to not identify and fix issues with your foundation could not only do major damage to the rest of your home, but it can also greatly affect your pocketbook.
A compromised foundation can be a scary concept for a homeowner in Cullman. Not only is it dangerous, but it can diminish the property value of your home. There is no need to worry. The team at SouthernDry is prepared and able to help answer any questions you may have, and help come up with the best solution possible to restore your foundation. It is always our goal to make your home healthy and safe for your family to enjoy for years to come.
There are a few key factors in determining what exactly is wrong with your foundation. The first thing to look at is the condition of the soil under and surrounding your foundation. According to the US Department of Agriculture, Cullman sits on part of the Appalachian Plateau, and the soil there consists mainly of the loam and clay variety.
Loam is one of the most ideal soil types to build a foundation on as it is mainly a mixture of clay and sand. The clay shrinks and expands when the moisture content goes through wet and dry periods which provides the most support. Soil that contracts and expands evenly is what creates the perfect environment for a foundation. When it expands or contracts unevenly, it causes shifting in the foundation and this is where the problems start.
The alternating wet and dry periods in Cullman along with the alternating pressure and shifting can cause stress and damage to your foundation. These are environmental factors that can not be controlled, and have the most impact on foundations in Cullman. Some environmental factors that can cause damage to your foundation are:
- Excessive wind and rain
- Tree roots that push on foundation or suck water away
- Seepage from in ground gunite pools
- Frost Heave that causes major freezing and thawing
There are also human-caused reasons as to why your foundation might need to be repaired. This is why it is very important to do your research before hiring a builder or contractor to pour your foundation. It’s also very important to keep regular maintenance on your home like cleaning out the gutters to prevent damage to the foundation after it has been laid. Some problems happen during the build, others are lack of maintenance, and the design of the home also plays a big part. Some things like this that may affect the integrity of the home’s foundation are:
- Improper preparation of soil under foundation
- Undetected plumbing and sewer leaks
- Improperly installed or maintained gutters
- Drainage that causes water to pool around the foundation
How Do I Know My Foundation is Damaged?
The integrity of the entire house will be compromised once the foundation is damaged. There are small, yet very important changes to your home that will be the first signs of trouble. 60% of homes built on clay soil will end up with foundation issues. Even if there is no damage to your foundation in the end, keeping an eye out for these tell-tale signs will help keep you prepared and your home in the best condition possible.
- Separated walls or windows
- Crumbling concrete
- Slanted mortar joints
- Cracked bricks or floors
- Water damage that may cause mold or mildew
- Uneven flooring
- Exterior and interior cracks
- Foundation sinking
Which method to use to repair your damaged foundation is dependent upon the extent of the damage. Once the exact cause of damage is identified it is easier to prevent it from happening again. The more information you have about repairing a foundation in Cullman the more prepared you will be to make decisions about what repair method you would like to use.
- Spot Piers
- These smaller, more shallow piers are used for light load replacements. Usually they are dug out by hand in strategic spots, and then filled with concrete and backfilled. This repair choice is for minor solutions for light structures and porches or car ports.
- Slab Repair
- This repair type is fast and relatively low cost. High density polyurethane is injected below an unsupported concrete slab to make it stable. This method is also used to lift cracked concrete driveways. The only downside to this option is the polyurethane does break down over time.
- Concrete Piers
- Poured in place concrete piers were preferred before steel piers, and are still used in repairs to this day. It is an adequate solution, but requires machinery to drill, which may be costly and tear up the landscaping in your yard.
- Steel Piers
- An engineering improvement to the concrete pier, steel piers are effective in repairing a lot of foundation issues, and can be installed much more quickly than poured concrete. This process is also a lot less disruptive to your property and landscaping,
- Helical Piers
- These piers are the most user friendly out of the bunch. They are designed to do exactly what steel and concrete piers do, but in an easier and more customizable way. They are more versatile and are used to connect the foundation to deeper, more stable soil, and offer the best possible support for your structure.
How Much Will It Cost?
Anytime a homeowner in Cullman suspects they have foundation issues their eyes glaze over with dollar signs. Do not fret; most foundation repairs can be made quickly and affordably. The keys to keeping the repair cost low is to:
- Notice the damage right away
- Call us and get information on the damage type
- Repair the damage immediately
There are different aspects to keep in mind when trying to figure out how much your foundation repair will cost you. Factors that are taken into consideration are:
- Elevation and soil types on the property
- Location and age of the property
- Local price of methods and materials used
- Identification and extend of damage to the structure
Fixr claims the national average cost to fix a foundation is between $500 and $10,000. Now, keep in mind that the extreme end is not indicative of what Cullman homeowners usually pay to repair their foundations.
HomeAdvisor did a survey of 2,600 homeowners across the United States who had foundation repairs. They found the median cost to be around $4,173, with the median range between $2,136 and $7,425 to repair their foundation to “like new” condition.
Taking action as soon as you realize the integrity of your foundation has been compromised will save you tons of money and stress. Another important element in repairing your foundation is hiring a reputable company that will inspect the foundation and inform you of the repair possibilities. Most reputable companies will do a quote and consultation for free. At Southern Dry we are able to provide quick, affordable, and stress-free repairs to your foundation that can last your home a lifetime. Give us a call today 205-719-2544.
CrawlSpace Encapsulation – Greenville, AL 36037
SouthernDry received a phone call from Clyde with concerns of high humidity and dampness in his crawl space as well inside his house. Mr. Clyde stated his house was slightly on a hill and had some drainage/grading issues that led to water getting under his house. He had researched crawlspace encapsulation online and felt this was a possible option for him, however after getting other quotes, he felt this option was out of his price range.
Basement Waterproofing in Riverside, AL 35125
The homeowner called because she noticed water on her basement floor. Water infiltration can be frustrating for a homeowner, because their mind immediately starts pondering the source of the issue and cleanup. In this basement, the water entered at the cove, or the point where the wall and floor meets and she noted that her basement floor was only wet during times of moderate to heavy rains. She also noticed her sump pump making a loud consistent sound and that it wasn’t dispersing water properly. This was very scary for her since she did not have a lot of money in her budget for a problem like this and she was concerned that a contractor would try to get over on her. With all of this out in the open in the initial phone conversation, she decided to schedule a free inspection with SouthernDry to find a solution to her leaky basement.
Mold Remediation & Basement Waterproofing – Jasper, AL
The homeowner called into SouthernDry because he noticed the presence of mold on his walls. He stated that his basement walls were wet and had a mildew type of smell. Dangerous mold is a key contributor to many household allergies and upper respiratory infections. The homeowner knew it wasn’t safe or healthy to have a problem like that in his home and wanted to have it checked out. He understood his next move would be to contact a professional contractor and have them perform a mold inspection. He scheduled a free estimate with SouthernDry to find a solution to his basement mold and mildew issues.